Fulfilling the Promise
Since its inception, many young people who were inspired by the words of our founder in the book Scouting for Boys utilised the series of articles he wrote to help them achieve Scouting’s purpose.
In some cases, these young people were unable to participate as members of a patrol or troop and were referred to as Lone Scouts.
Today, in this time of isolation and social distancing, we are drawing from the temerity and strength of these individuals to introduce and implement these activities, acting as these lone scouts of old but cognizant of our wider brotherhood; strengthened and determined to fulfill our promise.
The internet can be a great resource for kids but online access also comes with risks. Here are some basic guidelines to help parents with supervision:
- Spend time online together to teach your kids appropriate online behavior.
- Keep the computer in a common area where you can watch and monitor its use, not in individual bedrooms. Monitor any time spent on smartphones or tablets.
- Bookmark kids’ favorite sites for easy access.
- Check your credit card and phone bills for unfamiliar account charges.
- Find out what, if any, online protection is offered by your child’s school, after-school center, friends’ homes, or any place where kids could use a computer without your supervision.
- Take your child seriously if he or she reports an uncomfortable online exchange.
Uncertain about what systems are available for you to stay in touch? Here is a list of applications that some Scout Groups around the world have already started using:
Keep your troop together by using these tools to schedule your troop meetings and patrol council meetings, ensuring that the game of Scouting continues.
Use these tools to brainstorm activity ideas with each other, to communicate as a group and to give reassurance to one another.
These mobile applications (available for Android and iOS devices) you can use to share what you are doing with the rest of us:
Taking part in Scout Social Media Challenges?
Post one and tag others to join in on the fun!